Death as compression and decompression. James Joyce and Molly Bloom


A quick glance on James Joyce’s Ulysses, in particular its notorious last chapter which consists of Molly Bloom’s endless, unpunctuated soliloquy, shows that uncontrolled self-reflection repeatedly reminisces death; remarkably often in connection with lovemaking[1]. Not only does Molly Bloom frequently refer to the death of others; for example her youngest son who died as a baby, a tragedy jointly remembered with a lovemaking scene – a scene which ‘embraces’ the burial mention:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Molly Bloom Joyce Ulysseswe came together when I was watching the two dogs up in her behind in the middle of the naked street that disheartened me altogether I suppose I oughtnt to have buried him in that little woolly jacket I knitted crying as I was but give it to some poor child but I knew well Id never have another our 1st death too it was we were never the same since O Im not going to think myself into the glooms about that any more I wonder why he wouldnt stay the night”. (my italics, RS)

Molly also mentions her own prospective death, remarkably again in connection to lovemaking:

“Ill have to hunt around again for someone every day I get up theres some new thing on sweet God sweet God well when Im stretched out dead in my grave I suppose Ill have some peace I want to get up a minute if Im let wait O Jesus wait yes that thing has come on me yes now wouldnt that afflict you of course all the poking and rooting and ploughing he had up in me”. (my italics, RS)

Earlier, she had already memorised her uniqueness and irreplaceability – which are underlined in the preference of dying 20 times over sacrificing this uniqueness once more by marrying (as if dying at least recognises and acknowledges the self, whereas marriage merely spoils it).

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dead baby
“now what could you make of a man like that Id rather die 20 times over than marry another of their sex of course hed never find another woman like me to put up with him the way I do know me come sleep with me yes” (my italics, RS);

As I suggested in the second chapter, discussing ecstasy, the orgasmic experience can be considered as a compression of self, as opposed to inspiration which is a decompression of self. It could be argued that death, as enhanced subliminality, paradoxically combines these apparently mutually exclusive happenings. 

On the one hand, death underlines an experienced irreplaceability and unique selfhood – as opposed to marriage which destroys it (this is expressed by the “know me come sleep with me” followed by “all the poking and rooting and ploughing he had up in me” indicating the vanity of his attempt to ‘know’). On the other hand, death decompresses the self and reaches out to God and peace: “sweet God sweet God well when Im stretched out dead in my grave I suppose Ill have some peace”.

Whereas the connection of death to compression of selfhood seems all too obvious – death underlines someone’s uniqueness by terminating their availability and approachability –, things seem to be different for its connection to decompression of selfhood. The self-abandonment and decompression characteristic not only of ecstasy and inspiration but also of death may be concealed by the grave. 

Yet, this concealment does not imply the absence of self-abandoning decompression. “Jedes animalische Wesen und vor allem der Mensch hat ein Interesse daran,” we have seen in Klages, “gewisse Seelenvorgänge nicht zu zeigen.”  (Ludwig Klages, Grundlagen der Charakterkunde, p. 122) The confrontation with the two openly mating dogs (“the two dogs up in her behind in the middle of the naked street”), however, “disheartens” Molly; not only does it elicit a simultaneous orgasm with her partner (“we came together”), she also realises that her creative efforts (“that little woolly jacket I knitted”) ‘suit’ death, or her dead baby, well (“but I knew well Id never have another our 1st death too it was”).

In sum, death may combine compression and decompression of selfhood. It may reconcile what in the orgasmic experience, on the one hand, and in ecstatic inspiration, on the other, is still distinct. The enhancement of subliminality consists of the unbelievable, unimaginable experience in which the self, as a self, expands beyond limits.



[1] “Miss Stack bringing him flowers the worst old ones she could find at the bottom of the basket anything at all to get into a mans bedroom with her old maids voice trying to imagine he was dying on account of her to never see thy face again”, Joyce (1992, 1922). Ulysses. London: Penguin Books, p. 872; “if he was married Im sure hed have a fine strong child but I dont know Poldy has more spunk in him yes thatd be awfully jolly I suppose it was meeting Josie Powell and the funeral and thinking about me and Boylan set him off” (877f); “love is sighing I am dying” (899); “I was dying to find out was he circumcised he was shaking like a jelly all over they want to do everything too quick take all the pleasure out of it” (899).

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Cursus "Filosofie van de mystiek. Carl du Prel (1833-1899)"

Ulysses and the Cyclops

Perfect Storm - Video Podcast Series on Synchronicity